Download Printable Instructions
Please read through the following pre-operative instructions, as well as the post-operative instructions, to ensure your surgical appointment goes as smoothly as possible.
THE WEEK BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Pick up your prescriptions from the pharmacy. If you were prescribed antibiotics, you will start the antibiotics the day prior to surgery.
- If you are having sedation for your procedure, you must arrange for someone to drive you to the appointment, pick you up, and stay with you until the effects of the medication(s) wear off. Your driver should be someone you know well. Taxi drivers/Uber drivers are not acceptable.
- Shop for foods to eat while you are recovering.
THE DAY BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Start your antibiotic (if one was prescribed).
- If you are having sedation (oral or IV) for your procedure, do not eat or drink anything 8 hours prior to your appointment. We will not be able to administer sedation if you have had something to eat or drink less than 8 hours prior to your appointment.
- No alcohol 24 hours prior to your appointment.
THE DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT
- If you are having sedation, please do not eat or drink anything 8 hours prior to your appointment.
- Please take any medications that were approved by Dr. Pope.
- Please take one of your antibiotics prior to your appointment (even if you are having sedation).
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and be sure the sleeves can be raised to the shoulder (so we can
monitor your blood pressure and start an IV if necessary).
- Do not wear makeup and remove all nail polish (so we can monitor your oxygen saturation).
- Do not wear contact lenses. Please wear eyeglasses instead.
- Please bring or be prepared to sign consent forms for the surgery (and sedation). If the consent forms are not completed prior to taking sedative medications, we will not be able to perform your surgery.
- Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.